
Tuesday was my first day as an intern at my congressman Tom McClintock's office. I dressed all nice in my suit, trying to make a good first impression. I did a lot of entering in information into a database and answered phone calls. The office is on the hill and I can see the capitol out of the window. Everyone is really nice there and the other intern showed me around a bit. I think I'm really going to enjoy it there.
On Wednesday I went into Dale's school again. Everyday going in I have had to go through a metal detector just like all the kids, but they recognize me now and said I can just walk in. So at the school they are starting to crack down more on the dress code and are making the kids take off their coats before coming to class. One girl flat out refused when Ms. DeJean (the teacher I am helping) told her to take it off, so Ms.DeJean asked one of the male teachers to help her out. He took the girl unzipped her jacket and pulled it off for her. I was rather astonished, but the kids are just repeatedly rude and disobedient that sometimes the teachers just have to be tough.
I went to my second day of my internship on Thursday. I had to listen to some constituents who called complaining about Obama's actions or giving their input on what McClintock should be doing.Its nice having the office right on the mall. I was able to walk down to the botanical gardens on my lunch and see all the pretty flowers and plants. The legislative director is in the same room of the office as I am and I get to listen in on her meeting with different people from the district about certain issues that they are concerned with. For example, some people were in talking about Roseville water and Folsom Lake. Its just interesting being in DC hearing the opinions of people about whats going on back home. I also got my own badge with my name on it that says intern, so now I'm official. Near the end of the day Tom (the congressman) came in and I got to meet him and shake his hand which was pretty neat.
On Friday I went to the national zoo with April and the boys. We saw armadillos, lions, a mama and baby ape, llamas, and even *gasp* a cow. They also had this really cool area with fish from the amazon. Some of them were almost as big as me. In the evening we picked up Jeff, April's husband, from the airport. Friday was also Dale's birthday, so we went out to dinner at the Mount Vernon Inn. Afterwards we played Settlers of Catan, so I haven't been totally deprived of game playing while here.
Saturday morning I went to Gravelly Point Park which is right next to the airport. The airplanes fly right over the park and look so close. In the afternoon we went drove down to Ashley's house, for her babys' blessing on Sunday. The baby, Anona Renne Hooks, is so cute and wore a gorgeous dress that Kris made for her. I enjoyed the time that I got to spend with Ashley and April and their families. There little boys are all so cute and fun to play with, even if they are kind of crazy. It was another good week and I am really enjoying my stay here.
No comments:
Post a Comment