Sunday, March 8, 2009

Week Five

Hello friends and family. It's the end of another great week here in Alexandria, Virginia. Since it snowed most of Sunday, all my friends had school off Monday for a snow day. I went sledding with Veronica, Eby, and McKell and had a fun playing in the snow without going far. The only problem was that I did not have any snow pants and did not want to be wet and miserable. I quickly solved the issue by fashioning a pair of pants out of garbage bags.


This is a picture of Tom McClintock (the congressman that I am interning for). I did not take this picture, but it is somewhat interesting.

Tuesday was a good day at McClintocks office. In the morning I went to a congressional hearing where they talked mostly about wild mustangs. T. Boone Pickens wife was there to give her opinion and was quite enthusiastic. I'm still typing in data and answering the phone. If you live in the 4th district of California (Sacramento area) you can call into his office at (202)225-2551 to voice your opinion. If you call between 9:30am and 5:00pm Eastern Time on a Tuesday or Thursday, I just might pick up the phone.

Wednesday was a nice relaxing day. I went to Seminary in the morning then came back and got to sleep in. We had Young Women's in the evening and learned about emergency perpardness. Its fun staying involved in church activities here.



Thursday was the real thrilling day that you all really want to hear about. I went to a congressional hearing about science education and one of the witnesses was...BILL NYE "THE SCIENCE GUY." So, I thought it was cool to just see him in person, but then I actually got to meet him! Dale says I should get the picture of us framed because I want to major in science. It was really interesting listening to Bill and his views.


This is me with one of the students in the class I am helping at.

Friday, I went into the inner-city school again. I felt so grownup, taking the metro there and back all by myself and not feeling scared at all. I practically a city girl now. Haha. The logistics of the school still phase me everytime. For example simple assignment that should take ten minutes take the students over half an hour because they can't stay focused, ever. After school, I walking in nearby marshy area with my friend, Will, and got quite muddy. It was a fun evening though, and a gorgeous area.
On Saturday, I had the opportunity to do baptism for the dead in the Washington, DC temple which is actually in Maryland. It was really pretty there and a good experience.


My Aunt Kris and I in front of an original, yet renovated, building from the time of the Civil War at Manassas.

After church on Sunday, I went to Manassas with Dale and Kris. We walked around the battle field and down to Bull Run. It was pretty and peaceful there, except that Dale was complaining the whole time because we went about five miles when he would've been good with five feet. Afterward I went to Eby's to watch Mobsters and Mormons and we discussed possible going to New York together before I leave. So I had a pretty cool week, and it looks like there will be more excitement to come. I have a lot more to see before I come home.

1 comment:

  1. Haha. Bill Nye the Science Guy looks so weird. Like he has make up or something. You can't really say his name without the Science Guy part.

    ReplyDelete